We have a broad range of experience acting in various taxation matters, particularly in relation to representation for clients in ATO and SRO matters. Our tax services include:
- Advice on income tax, CGT, GST, FBT and many other federal taxes.
- Representation in any review, audit, inquiry, facilitation or alternate dispute resolution process with respect to any tax matter or related dispute.
- Legal representation in ATO audits and Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) and court proceedings.
- Preparation of reasonably arguable position opinions, requests for ATO rulings, specific ATO advice, objections and appeals.
- Recent COVID-19 measures including JobKeeper and the Government cash flow boost
- Advice on duties, land tax and payroll tax including foreign purchaser duty, landholder duty, absentee owner land tax, vacancy tax and other state taxes.
- Representation in SRO investigations, Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) matters and court proceedings.
- Preparation of duty exemption and concession materials/requests and requests for SRO rulings such as exemptions relating to transfers from discretionary trusts to beneficiaries and from unit trusts to unitholders.
- Representation in any review, investigation, dispute resolution, objection or appeal.
While we primarily advise and assist in relation to Victorian state taxes we can also assist regarding other Australian jurisdictionsvia our network of law firms we work with around Australia.
SMSF and Superannuation specific tax issues
- Advice on the taxation of superannuation funds, employment termination payments, pensions, redundancy payments and salary sacrifice arrangements.
- Advice on tax effective succession planning.
- Transfer of assets in/out of funds or between funds including exemption applications.
- Advice on other superannuation tax issues such as non-arm’s length income, CGT andGST relief, taxation of pensions, etc.
- Advice on tax effective structuring of SMSF investments.
General tax advice
- Provision of legal documents to support tax effective structures and transactions.
- Advice on structuring tax effective investments, including the tax treatment of companies, trusts, partnerships and other structures.
- Business taxation.
- Establishing and restructuring a business tax effectively (eg, whether a company, trust, partnership or other structures).
- Acquiring and selling a business.
Advice on tax effective business succession planning.