|Discretionary / Family Trust||$300|
|Discretionary / Family Trust with foreign person exclusion provision for one jurisdiction in relation to either or both of duty and land tax in that jurisdiction. For variation to existing trust click here.||$800|
|*Add $75 for hard copy |
As DBA Lawyers acts as agent for arranging payment of duty with the SRO, the cost of duty is not subject to GST
Pricing (apart from duty) includes GST
What’s in our package?
This package provides the necessary documents to establish a discretionary or family trust. It includes:
- Relevant ATO forms
- Trustee minutes
- Memo and
Note: Stamp duty is $200 in Victoria, $500 in NSW and $50 in the NT (broadly, provided there is no dutiable property at the time of execution).
DBA Lawyers can assist you with stamping your deeds with the State Revenue Office of Victoria at a cost of $165 (incl GST) plus the cost of duty (currently) $200, our administration fee and postage. As DBA Lawyers acts as agent for arranging payment of duty with the SRO, the cost of duty is not subject to GST.
A Duty Summary for each state and territory‘s duty criteria and whether and where to stamp is included in our package.
Additional State and Territory taxes – foreign beneficiaries
Additional duty and land tax may be payable by a trustee of a discretionary trust in respect of real property and certain other dutiable property in most States and Territories in Australia. This primarily applies to residential property.
To minimise this risk, DBA Lawyers’ trust deed can be specifically drafted to exclude ‘foreign beneficiaries’.
If you want to distribute to foreign beneficiaries, we recommend that you first obtain our advice before ordering.
We can then prepare a deed tailored to your specifications for an additional fee.
Naturally, please let us know if you require any advice as it is vital that the right deed be obtained from the commencement of a trust.
Please note that once a deed is executed, it is difficult and costly to vary.
For more information:
· DBA Lawyers’ discretionary trust — managing the extra duty and land tax surcharges on foreigners [read more]
· Your discretionary trust may unwittingly be subject to extra duty or land tax [read more]
Corporate Trustees of Discretionary Trusts
If you are establishing a new discretionary trust, you should consider the advantages of a corporate trustee over individual trustees. The long-term benefits of a company generally outweigh the up-front cost of incorporation. Some of the main advantages are:
- Asset protection for the directors from third party claims
- Greater protection from trustee taxation liabilities
- Clear separation of ownership of trust assets from individually owned assets
For information about ordering a DBA company, please click here.
For more information regarding why you should choose a DBA discretionary trust, click on the articles listed below:
- Why should you order trusts from DBA Lawyers?
- Your discretionary trust may unwittingly be subject to extra duty or land tax
- DBA Lawyers’ discretionary trust –– managing the extra duty and land tax surcharges on foreigners
- SMSF deeds – which supplier should you use: a law firm or a non-qualified supplier?
- NSW duty and land tax surcharge changes – action needed before 31 December 2019